eight people reveal why they stopped being sexually attracted to their partners

couple sitting on a bench

A couple sitting on a bench.
Shutterstock

At this point, you should know that sex isn't the only reason to be in a human relationship with someone.

Simply sex is a big component of a human relationship for many couples. Establishing sexual compatibility is vital for a good for you human relationship, and if it isn't there, some couples might just phone call it quits.

It is also possible, however, to be in a committed human relationship with someone, consider yourself to exist in love with them, and not actually want to take sex with them. In fact, not just is information technology possible, information technology's more common than you think — terminal yr, a study found that women tend to lose interest in sex about a year into a relationship.

All the aforementioned, in that location is an undeniable stigma around people who are in a relationship only might not be into sex, which means that people aren't talking almost it as much every bit they could be.

Recently, to offset more word on the topic, a Reddit user asked people to share how things panned out when they nonetheless loved their meaning other, but had stopped being attracted to them. Scroll through to meet what they had to say — you lot might exist surprised by how much you relate.

1. Living together lowered ane partner's sex drive.

It's hard to exist attracted to someone if you're always cleaning up after them.
PhotoMediaGroup/Shutterstock.

"He was not a good partner in terms of the applied aspects of life together. I did all the laundry, all the cleaning, all the emotional labor, etc. Sexual attraction was potent before we moved in together because I wasn't doing those things; in one case nosotros moved in together, and I realized the dishes would never exist washed if I didn't do them, sex declined rapidly. The resentment that built over his lack of respect for my time and my labor completely overpowered sexual attraction. He never seemed to understand why I wasn't horny after picking up his dirty socks and throwing out the wrappers he left laying around everywhere." - Reddit user Napsaremyfavorite

2. Birth control and antidepressants can accept a negative impact on sexual practice bulldoze.

Birth control can limit libido.
Susan Montgomery/Shutterstock

 "My boyfriend and I accept experienced a sexual attraction decline but I love him to death. If I'k not in the mood he doesn't mind. I'll go a month without wanting sexual activity considering of my birth control and antidepressants and he doesn't mind. And then I think we are fine." - Reddit user Jennifurbie

3. Attraction to their partner diminished over time.

Want to take sexual activity can lessen over time.
HBO

"I loved this man and was with him for years, but nosotros had and then many bug because I was most never in the mood for anything sexual, so over fourth dimension he obviously became quite frustrated. To be honest, now I try to but date guys I am very attracted to because of this experience." - Reddit user Pidgeon_English

four. They realized they weren't compatible enough with their partner anymore.

Information technology can be difficult to distinguish between romantic and ideal dearest, especially in long-term relationships.
Jack Rowand/The CW

"I realized I didn't dearest him romantically anymore but but as a friend. It was similar/aforementioned for him well-nigh me. We became like buddies rather than a romantic couple and broke upwards over that. We were both young, early on 20s, and not experienced enough in dating. I still cared for him, I wanted him to exist happy, I would get upset if he was upset. Merely thinking virtually a future together as a couple went from being a heartwarming feeling to something unpleasant. I didn't understand the verbal reason back and so but now looking back, we grew apart as people. We weren't compatible enough anymore and we were too young to piece of work on it more we already had." - Reddit user Redhaired103

5. Being asexual makes it so that sexual practice isn't the master point of the human relationship.

Sexual activity isn't vital for everyone.
Dmytro Zinkevych/Shutterstock

"Since I'g asexual, I've never been sexually attracted to any of my SOs. I've had my fair share of relationships that somewhen ran their course for a variety of reasons, not e'er because of sexual compatibility reasons.

I'm currently married to an amazing guy. I'chiliad not sexually attracted to him, per usual for me, but things are absolutely perfect betwixt us. We've been together for half-dozen years now, and things are just getting better.

He's perfectly content having sex maybe in one case a month. Information technology's frequently enough that he's satisfied, but infrequent plenty that I don't mind information technology. He'south never pushy near sex like some guys I've dated, never tries to guilt me or pressure me into things, and has proven on several occasions that if I don't feel up to information technology or I need to stop halfway through, there are no hard feelings whatever." - Reddit user NinjaShira

half-dozen. Kids and life got in the fashion.

In one case children enter the motion picture, it can be hard to schedule meals — let alone sex.
Universal Pictures

"I don't take a whole lot of sexual feelings in general, simply absolutely none relating to my hubby. We are busy enough between two very immature kids and caregiving for a relative that we oasis't fully noticed. I do wonder how things will exist when the parent I care for dies and when our kids are older. Mayhap nosotros will have a relationship and the feelings will come dorsum." - Reddit user ScimtarJane.

7. Both parties were sleeping with other people.

If you're both sleeping with other people, that's a pretty skillful sign that the human relationship has expired.
Netflix

 "We both ended upwards sleeping with other people and decided it would be best to stop things. It was rough, especially for me, simply it was the right pick in the end. Chemistry is of import to me in a relationship, without it I'd only feel like they were a close friend or family member." - Reddit user Heywheresthecoffee

eight. They decided they were amend off as friends.

Sometimes, information technology's improve to only be friends.
Sony Pictures

"We broke up. Information technology worked out well, though. I explained the 'triangular theory of love' to him having taken a human growth and development class in college. Nosotros both looked at it and told each other which 'loves' nosotros felt for ane another. We ended up both falling into the 'companionate dear' area. So nosotros went through with the breakup but stayed very good friends." -Reddit user Maarsargo

Sign up here to become INSIDER'south favorite stories straight to your inbox.

Deal icon An icon in the shape of a lightning bolt.

Go along reading